LOS ANGELES, CA - December 17, 2008 - CyberDefender, a provider of award-winning Antivirus Software, PC Security, PC Support, and Identity Theft prevention solutions, today announced its Top Ten Tips to ensure a safe online holiday shopping experience. The continued growth of Cyber Monday and online shopping for holiday purchases can be good for retailers, but bad for shoppers. With many fraudulent transactions and identity poachers preying on vulnerable potential victims, CyberDefender has created a list to aid people in their personal shopping security.
1. Only visit trusted sites and complete a transaction when the Web address start with https://, because the 's' means that the shopping site is secure.
2. Comparative shopping search engines provide great price points, but remember to work only with credible vendors.
3. Ensure that when visiting a Web site, they are certified by companies like the Better Business Bureau, BuySAFE, and VeriSign. Make sure the logos are 'clickable' to ensure that they represent active membership as fraudulent Web sites will just use their logo images.
4. Regularly run virus and spyware scans on your PC.
5. Restart your PC after scanning for viruses or spyware as the restart discards the malware.
6. Emails from vendors or services like PayPal that are not personalized are usually of fraudulent nature.
7. Use security toolbars that advise if a site is safe before making purchases.
8. Keep your receipt and be sure to check your junk email folder if you did not receive an email receipt after purchase.
9. Review the return policy before you purchase to ensure whether a product can be exchanged or returned.
10. Pay attention to additional shipping fees that may increase the final cost of your purchase.
CyberDefender Corporation (OTCBB: CYDE) believes that its Internet security technology offers the earliest possible detection and most aggressive defense against Internet security attacks.